Dr. Sylvia Karpagam – India’s Vegetarian Myth
My guest on this episode is Dr. Sylvia Karpagam, who is an Indian Public Health doctor, writer, illustrator and researcher with an inter-religion, inter-caste, and inter-language background. We talk about:
- Causes of malnutrtion in india, including withholding of nutritious animal foods.
- How 80% of India actually eats meat and it’s a myth that it is a vegetarian country.
- How the EAT/Lancet group are co-opting and feeding off this myth.
- Role of dominant castes and how they influence traditional eating and policy
- How until recently, a ‘love of animals’ hasn’t figured in the explanation of this behaviour.
- How eating beef has resulted in lynching and murder.
Remember to subscribe to the show and leave a five star review. And don’t forget to visit our sponsor at https://paleocanteen.co.uk/ where you can get top quality Scottish meat and restaurant quality meals delivered chilled to your door round the UK! Use code CANTEEN15 to get 15% off your first order.
Sylvia can be found at:
Twitter – https://twitter.com/sakie339
Ally can be found at:
Twitter – https://twitter.com/paleocanteen
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/AllyHouston
The researcher that Sylvia references is Balmurli Natarajan whose paper is called “‘Provincialising’ Vegetarianism Putting Indian Food Habits In Their Place”.